Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Remembering Tom, Harr, Robin, Jack, Prins, Dien, Cato and Saar

 Per usual, I am late to the party for Black History Month.  Or any other history month for that matter - look for my Woman's History Month post in April or May ;)

Today, while searching for something completely different, I came across this typed up record of  Tobias Ten Eyck's last will and testament recorded March 7, 1792.



It is not really Bethlehem and the land referenced appears to be in the modern day town of Coeymans.  I don't know where the Cripple Bush Land was or the Narkens Vacten Lot.  I do have a vague idea of where the Coeymans Patent was.  And I do enjoy the reference to the stake in a mudhole and the two rocks near the white oak. 

What really caught my eye, were the bequeaths of his slaves. Yup, his slaves. Eight of them

So, here at the tail end of Black History Month 2022, I would like to acknowledge the lives of these individuals and wonder about their trials and tribulations as enslaved people in Albany County, the Manor of Rensselerwyck and the soon to be created town of Bethlehem. 

Tom

Harr

Robin

Jack

Prins

Dien

Cato

Saar


No comments:

Post a Comment