Tuesday, August 21, 2018

J. W. Dessert's Delmar Postcards

I just love old postcards and I hope you caught this month's Our Towne Bethlehem where I write a little bit about their history - especially Bethlehem ones of course.

In the process of researching the article, I looked closely at them searching out any small details.  And guess what I noticed....there is a group of Delmar ones that are numbered sequentially and I am 99.9% sure they were all published by the same person! How cool is that? I never made that connection before.

So here they are, in order.  The big mystery - what about number 319?  It has got to be out there somewhere!  Found it thanks to a careful reader!  Scroll all the way down...

A Group of Villas  MII314

Delmar Fire Engine Co. No.1 MII315
Delmar Fire Engine House MII316

Kenwood Avenue MII317

Delmar Public School  MII318

A Few Cozy Residences MII320

Kenwood Ave with M E Parsonage MII321

Adams House MII322

Here's the back of one of them.  Look closly along the left side and you'll see who published it....
J W Dessert "The Druggist" of Delmar N Y.   Because I can't help myself, I had to find out more about him.



Joseph W. Dessert (1873-1968)  of Chestertown, NY graduated from the Albany College of Pharmacy in 1896. For a time he had a drug store in Chestertown, but in  1912 he opened one in Delmar.
This is a clip of a national publication that noted the Delmar opening

In 1912 and 1913 he advertised often, and what pops up the most are ads for Folley Kidney Pills.  Below are some clippings.  I like the one with the motorcycle the best - you could get one in Normansville!  All are from 1912 in the Altamont Enterprise. 



Joseph's first wife was Carrie.  She died in 1909.  His second was Georgia.  Joseph, Georgia and their daughter Alice were in Bethlehem for the 1920 census, but in 1930 and 1940, they were living in Albany.  And that is about it for J. W. Dessert, druggist and postcard publisher!

*****************************
Update - September 26, 2018

Thank you careful reader Jas Yolles for pointing me in the direction of this postcard!  Below are the front and back of #319.






No comments:

Post a Comment